Happy New Year! I hope 2018 brings you lots of love, happiness & joy. I cannot wait to see what 2018 brings. I am already impressed with the energy & light that the first full moon put out this year, it was like a huge beacon shining on the world! Here’s to you shining your light & love on the world this year.
So everyone is talking about resolutions & goals which are all good depending on how they are set, however I feel the new year is about clearing out the old & embracing the new, hence the theme of my blog this week is kicking out old habits & create healthy new habits. I’m a big fan of adding new habits to each day, & guess what it only takes 21 days to form a habit. Yay! However first & foremost we need to kick some of the habits that don’t serve us!
We are all creatures of habit & already have many habits that we are pretty unconscious to, these are habits that are hidden within our conditioning, behaviour or thought patterns.
I’ve identified 3 (there are more!) unhealthy & unconscious habits that have the ability to block your happiness & inner joy.
Drama: Yep..it’s a habit. How do you react to stuff? Do you wallow in the drama? Do you react with fear? We cannot control everything. Detaching from the drama is a great habit to kick. Try responding appropriately instead of in fear (breathing through this process is very helpful). Trust & know that stuff happens & it will pass. Let go of reacting in fear.
Dependency: Are you reliant on someone else to make you feel good? One thing I have learnt is that there is nothing outside of you that can truly make you feel good, your willingness & desire to be happy is all it takes to feel good. If you are dependent on someone or something else then you’re in trouble. Take control of your own happiness…you will find it extremely liberating.
Comparison: Probably the most unhealthy habit & most common one of all. When you compare yourself to others, you are putting yourself into a cycle of constant need to be “better than.” Which then strengthens a core belief that your are “not good enough” or “less than”. And guess what this is all based on a “story” about who you really are. By comparing yourself, you’re cementing the “story” in your mind that you’re not already perfect as you are. So, discovering the truth of who you really are & letting go of the habit of comparing yourself is the thing to do here. What’s great is that we are all unique, we all have our own unique talents & gifts, which we are given to share with the world. Discover yours & own the gifts of who you are…lets face it everyone else is taken 😉
Gaining awareness is the first step to change, so just noticing when you participate in any of these habits or behaviours is the first step to make a change. Need help discovering where you may be getting stuck, then get feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] & we can book in a chat.
So what healthy habits could you create this year…maybe you’ve already started a new habit? I’d love to hear! If you started 1 new habit a month then that’s 12 new habits a year, imagine how amazing you would feel!
Here’s 12 ideas for a new habit a month!
- Get to bed before 10:30pm. Aim for 7 & 1/2 hours sleep per night (the optimum amount for most adults).
- Drink enough water. Find out how much you need here. The Institute of Medicine says that women need 2.7litres per day – 11 cups.
- Exercise daily. This could be a 20 minute walk or some yoga stretching on the bedroom floor.
- Write a gratitude daily. I’m a big fan of gratitude lists. Write 5 things that you are grateful for each morning or evening.
- Meditate daily. I love the insight timer app, you can set how long you have & choose a guided meditation or timer, really easy to use, set a time each day so it becomes cemented in your routine.
- Be kind to yourself. Do something for you every day. Whatever you love doing, do that. Love all of you…tell yourself how amazing you are on a daily basis.
- Increase your vegetables. It is recommended that half your plate is green /veggies.
- Get present. Breath before you do anything. Focus on the one thing that you are doing.
- Prep your week on a Sunday evening so you are ready to go on Monday morning.
- Get outdoors amongst nature. Breathe, pause & take in the beauty around you.
- Read 10 pages of a good book every day.
- Kick start your day with a detox shot. Here’s a great recipe below from MBG, this is one of my new habits! It has an interesting & slightly fiery taste, but great to get your system going in the morning (it contains turmeric which is an anti inflammatory antioxidant, also good for digestion too).
100 mL (2/5 cup) juice of your choice (if you’re hard-core, go for plain water)
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
My advice is to neck it down in 1 & you may like a water chaser! 😉
Wishing you a happy & healthy 2018. All that is missing on this page is your voice…I’d love to hear the habits you have started or plan to start.